Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Every outfit has its first outing

Today was the first time Alyssa has worn her present out in public...

I picked up a copy of Studio Bambini magazine a couple of months ago. I quickly realised that it's a magazine for parents who will quite happily spend $100 on one item of clothing for their baby/child (that's not me!). On the up side it's full of beautiful clothes - and my inspiration for the fabric chosen for this outfit. Gorgeous brands Monnalisa and Simonetta showcased skirts made from fabrics with big multi-coloured horizontal stripes. I didn't find big bold stripes and I wasn't making a skirt. Alyssa still can't sit by herself, let alone walk, so skirts have been deemed impractical until further notice.

Newlook 6903 gave me a headache. I read the instructions 10 times over the course of a week before I had the courage to start. I improvised on the yolk, god knows how you do it properly... One day I'll find out.



It didn't exactly turn out as planned. Rather, I made my poor bub look like a present. Most likely made worse by the addition of a big bow (yes I had a mini (in time) big (in my head) obsession with oversized bows and had to find a way to incorporate one).

It would be another 2 months before this outfit made it out in public. We bumped into our neighbours in Spotlight today and they both agreed that they wouldn't mind a present like Alyssa. She gave them great big smiles the whole time. It's true - she is a gift 



Alyssa loves it. From about 7 weeks old we started to show her her reflection and it became a game to poke her tongue out and smile at herself. Now, when she gets a new outfit she gets to 'see' it too. I highly anticipate her reactions. If only we had videoed the sunglasses reaction, hilarious!

Snap fasteners were used in excess. Forget button holes, I need to practice those first. And the button is a fake. The bow comes off completely and never makes it through a whole day.




2 comments:

  1. How cute is that! Seriously gorgeous! Looks like this learning to sew thing is going to be a walk in the park (: i look forward to what you do next! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's bright and lovely and she is just gorgeous! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Share