Monday, March 26, 2012

Japanese Inspired Harem Pants

I can't keep my baby still long enough to take a photo. She is seriously on the move!

We went along to Baby Rhyme Time at the library this morning and all the other mums were amazed that at seven months she can get herself across the floor at super sonic speed. When Alyssa sees something she wants and then realises there is nothing in her way, she makes an excited grunt of satisfaction (I don't know how else to describe it) all the way across the floor until she reaches her target.

I look at my baby now and see someone who is independent, observant and social. It is a really strange feeling that she is no longer an extension or part of myself. She is not very cuddly. I pick her up and she twists and turns until she has full view of the world. She responds to her name. Even in a noisy group of babies she looks up to find Mum. If she hears me call our dog ("Chloe") she looks around to see where her buddy is.

We are busy renovating our house at the moment so the sewing machine has been packed away. I actually don't miss it. I'm glad to have a little holiday. In three weeks time I will probably be going through withdrawals.

It's getting a little cooler here in the mornings and evenings and I wanted to experiment with a pair of light cotton pants for Alyssa. I chose a Tana Lawn fabric from Spotlight. I love this Japanese fabric. It's so lovely and soft. The pattern was an experiment. I liked the idea of a wide bum and skinny legs. The cut was designed for a knit so I gave some extra width and then compensated for the waistband with extra length. I struggled with turning the top of the pants in to create the casing for the elastic, so had to cut an additional strip for this. It wasn't on the true bias, really only a slight angle so even that was hard to turn inside. I put elastic at the ankle to help keep the bottom of the pants from riding up.

Here is the result:




1 comment:

  1. Adorable pants, and adorable baby, too! I found your blog from the comment you left on my comment on the ruffled sunsuit tutorial on the Little Betty blog... If that makes any sense! I have been in sunsuit mode again lately myself! Although our hot season is just getting started (Texas) where I guess yours is coming to an end. Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Your projects are all really cute.

    ReplyDelete

Share